MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Ups and Downs

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Ups and Downs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SusanJ

Hello friends,

I have found that this disease is full of ups and downs. My 73-year-old dad was diagnosed with MDS in Jan. 06. He is recovering from a very bad case of cellulitis in his arms. We have been to the cancer center every day for 10 days for IV antibiotics. He ran high fevers for 7 days. He is finally better from that, but still weak. He has been getting a shot of Aranesp every 2 weeks but it isn’t helping. He got his first blood transfusion 2 days ago. He is scheduled to have a second bone marrow biopsy on Monday May 1 because the doctor wants to see if there have been changes since the shot is not working. We will get the results from the biopsy on May 15. I am a nervous wreck. My dad is so mad that the shots are not working and that he doesn’t feel much better. I was so hoping that something would work. I cry all the time, I don’t think I can bear to see him deteriorate right in front of me. He’s my best friend. I was hoping that this process would go very slow. I’m so afraid of what the bone marrow results will be. I don;t know what to do. It helps to know that so many others know what I’m going through. GOD bless all of you.

franm

Dear Susan:

I think I know what you are going through. My husband (73) who I hope will be celebrating our 12 anniversary next month, was told that he had MDS over a year ago. At the time he was told they did a BMB on him last august 05. The results were that he had 10% blast at that time. The Oncologist wanted to start Chemo but he went to 2 other Oncologist and the 3rd one said no, they will watch his blood test and see him every month. So far hhis blood test have been up and down but not to much of either.

Tuesday, May 9th he will have another BMB and then we will see what she says. The one think I worry about is his weight loss. He keeps losing weight and I cook very healthy and he eats pretty good. But still losing and looks bad…real skinny.

He will see his MD on the 8th of May and maybe he can help.

Otherwise, he sleeps alot and his back hurts if he does anything in the house.

God bless you and everyone else on this forum.

Fran

SusanJ

Dear Fran,

My dad has a very good appetite and he hasn’t lost any weight. His main complaint is being very short of breath and tires very quickly. He has been working every day until this infection. He hasn’t worked in 2 weeks. He wants to try to work about 3 days a week but I don’t know if he will be able to. He has no pain that I know of. This is so hard for me. I know it is for you also. I will pray for you and Jim. Keep in touch.

Susan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert