MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

VA Benefits

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board VA Benefits

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

First time poster here. I extend my gratitude to everyone for the helpful information.

My question…

I am aware the Veterans Administration pays extended benefits to Veterns with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL).

I’m curious, has anyone had experience with a claim to VA for MDS? And if so, would you mind sharing some of the details?

Thank you in advance for any response.

“The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.”

Debster01

This is something I would like to know too. My stepfather passed away last week of MDS/AML. He was in Vietnam in the Marine Corps, exposed to agent Orange. If anyone knows anything-please let us know. He was ill for years, and the medical bills are enormous. Thanks so much-Deb

Jimbob

I am going thru the process of getting rated for disability with the VA. I do have a low percentage of disability but I am appealing and trying to get it increased. It is almost impossible unless one can show a link that is accepted “as likely as not” of being the cause. Further, one has to have applied for benefits prior to the expenses and it cannot be done after a veteran has deceased.

Debster01

Thanks Jimbob-but I am curious-how does one apply for benefits prior to expenses? My stepfather before he died was totally disabled due to this hideous disease…

Thank you for the responses.

I am curious to, does anyone now of any forums for discussion on the relationship between Agent Orange and MDS?

Jimbob – can you direct us to few resourceful links that will assist us in gathering the information we need?

Thanks Again.

SLStrout

Does Agent Orange contain Benzene? That name has popped up a number of times as a suspected possible cause of MDS.

Jimbob

the VA does not usually pay for the expenses incurred at a non-VA facility. Locally, if I had been rated for CMML by the VA, they would have required that my care was through the VA facility instead of the Center of Excellence at OHSU. Two of the OHSU doctors do work at the VA Med Center but not the ones that were caring for me. Also, the rooms and facilities at OHSU are MUCH, MUCH better. Because of this. I decided NOT to even apply for disability related to CMML until after the SCT. I did apply immediately after but was initially denied. I am still going through the appeal process.
    If a patient was already accepted as 100% disable with CLL being a serious conected disease, then one sould contact the VA to see what benefits might be available and what hoops one has to jump through. !00% disability might still offer some benefits to the surviving spouse, depending how long the disability ws in effect or if it started immedicately after discahrge.
    I do not think that Agent Orange contained benzene but you might want to google it to find out. The worst of the problem causing ingredients was dioxin (TCDD).
    Jim

Found this – thought it might be helpful.

Here is the link to the BVAs opinion on the connection between Agent Orange and Aplastic Anemia / Myelodysplastic Syndrome or AML.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp04/files4/0434293.txt

Debster01

This is very interesting-thank you so much for posting it. Deb

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert