MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Vidaza Coverage

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Vidaza Coverage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    George F.

I would like to know if Medicare is covering Vidaza, all I have received from from Fed. BCBS is no coverage . I have had one round and Tuesday the Doctor probably want to start another. I don’t know if I can afford this treatment. I may have to take what I took the last time, made me sick but at least it was covered.

eve

my dad is covered by medicare and aarp – as long as he has the treatment at the hospital – don’t know if they would cover him at the doctor’s office – don’t know how much of it if any aarp is picking up

eve

Neil

Hi George,
    Much depends upon what your doc told you about insurance coverage.
    IF you were told Medicare and your supplement would cover the cost AND the doc did not tell you you might be liable for a part of the cost you cannot be held responsible.
    A few years ago I was on an Amifostine trial. Was told medicare & BCBS would cover all costs. It didn’t. Medicare sent a letter to my doc telling him there was no coverage. Further, sinice I was not told I might have to cough up the cost, the doc could not bill me.
    After all was said & done the producer of the drug picked up the tab—for 6 of us.
    A possibel problem with your situation is Vidaza is FDA approved. It is no longer provided on a trial basis. What are the implications? If you doc has stated insurance will cover it, would be inclined to go with his adcvice. To be perfectly safe would call Medicare and and your supplement ( if you have drug coverage) to be clear. Would also want it in writing.

JulieMarie

Hi George,

I know my mom has gotten a few of her bills for her Vidaza treatment, her insurance co. not covering because they don’t have the correct medical number yet for Vidaza, since it was just ok’d for MDS in May of 2004. Her dr. office is just letting it ride on her account until they get the correct number for the insurance co. I know when my mom gets her shots at the dr. office co-pay is like $15, but at the hospital on the weekends it’s like $400 so this time around (round 3 of 4) she’s going to take Sat and Sun off and get the last two days at the office instead.

mommachkate

Hi George, My husband George got for round of Vidaza also last year in the doctor office. The Medicare and his AArp sup. ins covered everything. Good luck with your treatment. Kate

Terri

Our Doctors Office Indicates that Medicare will cover Vidaza, we have insurance but I did ask our nurses today that do all the referrals.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert