MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

What to do about work?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board What to do about work?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Marsha

Well, my doctor hasn’t released me but he told me that I could go back to work but only PT. Well, I know this is ultimately my decision but was wondering if I could just get some feedback from those who have gone back to work and those who haven’t. I had a full BMT 11/04 and dealing with some mild skin, mouth GVHD. If I don’t return to work this month, I will have to be terminated and thus go on Cobra, there are some days that I know I could do it but then there are others where I don’t feel well and with some fatigue, I don’t take regular naps, but once in awhile I do. I work in a clinical setting which is another reason that I am worried, plus I had alot of weight loss and am slowly gaining again. Am worried about that also. Dr. hasn’t written any restrictions as of yet, but I return in 2 wks, if I go back now, I will not lose my seniority or my benefits. Which is something for me to consider. Sorry this is so long, but thanks

Marsha

JulieMarie

Marsha,

I have never been in your shoes. The only good advise I could say is see if your employeer would allow you to work half days or if you could work every other day. Have you tried to apply for social security benifits or disablity? Those are a few things the OSU hospital has metioned to my mother who is needing a bone marrow transplant as well. Sounds like you’ve been there a while, is there another job that you could due there that wouldn’t be so physical or in as much contact with clients?

All the best, I will keep you in my prayers.

Neil

Hi Marsha,
    Would have a long discussion with the HR people at work.
    Prepare a list of questions.
    Does your medical situation impact your status?
    If you go back part time are you reinstated?
    What factors are involved in your reinstatement?
    Remember they might want you to be terminated. Your insurance expense is something they would probably want to see go away.
    If the employment situation does not look promising, you might want to speak to an attorney or to the state to clarify your rights.
    Neil

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert