MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Will Azacitidine make my dad feel much better

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Will Azacitidine make my dad feel much better

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Saritha

Hi All…This is Saritha from India Hyderabad.My dad has been suffering from MDS blast 10% for the last 7 months.Thallidomide hasnt worked on him and has been recommended Azacitidine(Vidaza).
    Went through a search on this medicine but the side effects seem so scary as hes completely transfusion dependant.Haemoglobin goes as low as 4.4
    Will this help as even platelets are low and so are the WBC’s.

And will frequent Transfusions also be an added disadvantage to improve his health.
    This medicine Azacitidine (Vidaza) is not available in India.

Can you’ll help me get some information like

a. The cost of the drug
    b. Can it be procured there
    c. Will there be some means of importing this drug from US here.

Terri

You should try contacting the MFG- Pharmion Corp. They may be able to answer your questions on the availability to India.
    Bob has been on vidaza for almost three years with a few months here and there off.
    He has not been tx dependant, but His plts are in the 40’s and we can’t get them higher.
    We have added Vitamins and supplements that help boost the Immune system

Saritha

Thanx for your immidiate reponse….

Im sorry but i would want to know how can i contact the MFG-Pharmion Corp as we are in India and have no clue about it.

And since my dads paltelets are in the 20’s and doesnt generally get higher and is also on monthly transfusions of 700ml will Vidaza make him further weak as it is quiet a strong drug.

Maryvillepat

Look up Pharmion on the Web. It will give you a phone number. My husband is going back on Vidaza after trying Revlimid, which didn’t work for him. I don’t know if your doctor will use Vidaza with such low white cell count, although perhaps he could be given Neulasta to build them up. When my husband was on Vidaza before, he was TX independent. It is given through injection, not IV. The side effects for my husband were nausea, vomiting, and sneezing, but they only lasted for an hour or two after each injection. At first blood counts will drop, but then if it works, they will come up. I would assume he could still receive TXs if needed while taking it, although my husband didn’t need them. Good luck!

Terri
    Saritha

Just wanted to know my dad was detected with low platelet count and was given a platelet transfusion.Inspite of it the count still remains low.
    He keeps getting tiny blackish blue spots on his tongue which now are becoming big like a bloodclot causing a lot of inconvinience for intake.
    Are these signs of low platelet or low blood count level.
    His Haemoglobin is presently 7 and platelets are 20000.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert