MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Younger Patients.

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Younger Patients.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    scooter

I was just diagnosed with MDS/intermediate. I have all three blood types falling, just had my second transfusion, and start Vidaza Sept.3rd. Is there any good news, everything I read is just bad news. I would like to hear more about patients that were diagnosed around my age. 49
    Thanks,
    Scooter

Andy R

Hi Scooter.

I am 45 and just finished getting a stem cell transplant.

If you want all the details as they happened, check my blog out at http://andy-mds-recovery-journal.blogspot.com/

scooter

Andy,
    Thanks for the info. My prayers are with you.
    Scott

McJan

Hi Scooter,
    I just turned 50, and was diagnosed with MDS in May 2011, with an IPSS score of 1. All three of my blood counts are low, but I am at a wait and watch stage currently. I have gained a great deal of information from the Marrowforum. You might want to register there as well and check some of the past posts and then ask further questions. There are a lot of people diagnosed with more experience and knowledge that are willing to share information. Jamrc

bobweinberg

Scooter, I was diagnosed with RARS at the age of 48 in 1998. I am now 61. Thirteen years and over 700 units of packed red blood cells later, I am still in one piece. The disease comes in all shapes and sizes so one cannot rely on the stories of others. Key indicators are percentage of blasts and chromosome abnormalities. Exjade is a miracle drug. You can reach me on line at weinbergr@pepperlaw.com if you would like to talk further.

Bob

scooter

Thanks, I’ll do that
    Scott

frank
    Participant

Scooter, I was diagnosed with RARS at age of 41 in 2004, havn’t try any new treatment yet, just transfusion right now.

scooter

Frank,
    Do you have iron issues because of transfusions? My MD is pushing stem cell transplant. I get two units of red cells every other week. I just was diagnosed in July and I can’t stand all these doctor, hospital visits, and transfusions already.
    Scuuter

frank
    Participant

sorry scooter;
    i didn’t read this thread for a while. I do have iron issue, just use Exjade. I am not bad like you, i will need 2 units for every 5-6 weeks.

Frank

lindajo

I was diagnosed at age 30, 20 years ago. I had a number of transfusions early on and then my need for transfusions decreased. I haven’t had a transfusion in 2 years. Treating infections and other health problems are imperative in getting control of MDS. Learn all you can. There are options for treatment including watch and wait.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert