MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Geson, Gonzalez, Macrobiotics, Dr Weil, etc.

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Geson, Gonzalez, Macrobiotics, Dr Weil, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Hi CK:

The reason I think zinc is better taken through food is for the reason you mentioned–vitamins, minerals, enzymes, all work together for the body to properly assimilate the nutrients. If you take the whole food source, it’s likely more bioavailable to the body because of all the cofactors in that whole food. Also, there is less chance of overdosing on any one substance using whole foods. For instance, according to Hal Huggins, you can overdose on B12 (even if it is water soluble) through artificial supplementation, but you can’t get a B12 overdose from steak, no matter how much you eat.

Which reminds me, Dr. Cannell specializes in Vit D, and he states that the only good sources of Vit D are from the Sun and from animal sources. He claims that any veggie D source is potentially harmful to our health. (That is, if the supplement contains a veggie source that has been fractionate, there’s no problem w/eating veggies). His website can be viewed at http://www.vitamindcouncil.com/ He believes that the only good D supplement is “cholecaliferol.” Anything else, he does not recommend.

Just my 2 cents,

Marla

patti

CK and Marla,

Wow! Thanks! Marla, I’m aiming to get that, “Why am I always so tired,” and soon! Hopefully they won’t say it’s because I have three small kids and a home business! smile That’s what everyone always tells me. Interesting stuff. You’ve both given me some great info. I’ll let you know when I get through them. I’m a nighttime reader. Cannot go to sleep without reading for at least an hour or more.

Thanks again, ladies.

patti

Hi Patti:

I was just thinking that other ways I’ve found good books (aside from other people recommending them to me and looking in the book references) is going to Amazon.com and look up the book you like. They usually have a little section which tells you what other books people have bought that bought the book you like. (Then I check it out from the library, if it’s available before buying the book, heh, to see if I think it’s worth paying for). Also, if you check out the Weston Price site http://www.westonaprice.org and the Price-Pottenger site http://www.price-pottenger.org they have book reviews on their websites. Westonaprice even gives a thumbs up or thumbs down to give you a clue, too. Ha!

I’ve got 3 kids, too, and my favorite time is nighttime, too! Ha! Hmmmm. Something about that peace and quiet at nighttime. . .

Take care!

Marla

patti

Hi Marla,

Good ideas. My “nighttime” ended at 1:30 last night when I finally went to bed! I can’t get anything done unless it’s after 9:00 when the kids go down. Oh well. They’re only little once.

Take care.

patti

Hi Patti:

Hee, yep, those are the good hours for me, too! But I know that health-wise I really should get my butt in bed a lot sooner. . . sigh.

Anyway, just thought I’d mention that there is an online library which I think has some pretty interesting books. As a matter of fact, one book I suggested (The Wheel of Health, by G.T. Wrench) is available to read for free online there. Here’s the link to the library, and just follow the instructions, and you’ll be able to get to the Health Library online books. http://www.soilandhealth.org/02/02principles.html

Take care!

Marla

patti

Thanks, Marla! Do you get to sleep in a little? I actually get to sleep at least until 8:00 when I go to bed that late. Fortunately, my kids are just old enough to play together for awhile after they wake up. But whoa to the man who wakes me before I’ve had my eight hours! I don’t do well at all without at least 8 hrs of sleep. And if I had my way, I’d sleep at least 9! I think I must be lazzzzyyyy.

Thanks for the heap of health info. I’m constantly trying to read up on all this stuff. Maybe I’ll actually be healthier some day. smile

Take care.

patti

seekay

Patti and Marla,

I checked out the Amazon site for Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, and also Weston Price’s foundation. I had heard of him before because of his work on uncovering the connection between root canals, bacteria, and chronic diseases of the body (the focal infection theory).

WOW. That book looks to be a seminal one in the field of nutrition. I will get my hands on it soon. I see I have a lot to learn, especially about live enzymes. I know Dr. Gerson was always talking about the oxidizing enzyme power of the dark leafy green-apple juice and carrot-apple juice he advocated. I was never sure if he was referring to antioxidants, just using different terminology. (I’m sure Marla could shed light on this topic.)

Patti, do you know whether your mother in law would be interested in speaking to a friend of mine (if he or his wife is interested) who has MDS? They are at a crossroads now as to what to do, and speaking with people who are using naturopathic medicine might help them figure out their next steps.

If not, it’s not a problem. Just though I would ask.

Marla, you may want to check out the B12 study/article written by Carmen Wheatley on the orthomolecular oncology website (http://www.canceraction.org.uk I believe is the site?). She was Prof. Gearin-Tosh’s grad student at Oxford and learned so much about nutrition in her attempt to help her friend. Her case study of him, “The Case of the .005% (or is it .05%?) Survivor,” also is chock full of information.

Also, the website by Leo Galland, MD is a good one. He has a foundation (Foundation for Integrated Healing, or something like that) and a linked health articles website with great info. He’s a convetional doc (either Harvard or NYU Med School) with a holistic approach to healing, practicing in NYC

I also have two kids, btw, and a husband who travels a lot. So I empathize with the exhaustion issue. I’ve been trying AdaptaMax, which is an adrenal support supplement made by Nature’s Sunshine. Someone metioned to me Equilib, which I think is an animal derived souce of Vit B12, among some other things.

CK

seekay

One more book: on sleep and the importance of it for nourishing the body, brain, etc.

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth

9 hours for you, Patti, does NOT mean you are lazy. It just means that’s what your body needs.

After I got that book a few years ago, I became a little bit of a sleep “nazi” (for lack of a better term) with my kids. Regular naps in the am and pm for the little one. Now just a regular afternoon nap, always in his crib in a dark, quiet room. Five year olds optimally need 12 hours a night.

I see so many parents lugging their little babies/kids around when those kids should be sleeping. Now, I recognize the signs of a chronically sleep-deprived toddler–usually they don’t focus well, and get cranky pretty quickly during the day.

I think we adults as a group a generally sleep-deprived as well, and that it definitely impacts our health. Quality as well as quantity of sleep is so important.

CK

patti

CK,

The AdaptaMax – is it working for you? I’ve been seeing a complimentary medicine doctor who has been treating me for adrenal fatigue (borderline adrenal failure for me)for just over a year now. I’ve made great strides and am doing better but I still can’t seem to get my cortisol high enough from 2:00-6:00pm. I wonder if the adaptamax would help. Do you know how its supposed to work in the body? I will try and look it up if I get time also. My biggest issue is getting the snacks the doctor wants me to but I am getting better about that also. Anyway, just curious.

My MIL would love to speak to your friend but she doesn’t have email or any internet stuff so they’d actually have to “talk” to me. Or, they could call her. She’s always willing to talk to people about why she went the direction she did.
    It was not an easy decision but it was the right one for her. I just found out tonight that things are starting to really go south for mom. It’s only been 10 days since her last transfusion and now she needs another one. I thought we would stay at 3 weeks for awhile before we dropped but apparently not. She was 4 weeks between transfusions for 17mos.

Anyway, either her or myself would love to talk to your friend.

Thanks for the sleep info. I’m big on the sleep thing for my kids too. They’re grumpy otherwise and when I’m the teacher (I homeschool) I really don’t like to deal with tired attitudes!

Take care.

patti

seekay

Patti,

Has your mother in law done any regular detoxing? Essiac capsules, burdock root, dandelion root and/or juicing the leaves of dandelion is good. And of course, there is the coffee enema.

I will email you privately to get your telephone, if you don’t mind.

Thx,

CK

seekay

Sorry,

Yeah the AdaptaMax seems to help. There’s also another kind of adrenal support product NS makes, called Suma, I believe? Each one is different depending on your blood type. I can find out which one is which in the Nature’s Sunshine product book I have (though I’m not a rep or anything).

I can’t believe how addicted I am to this website, now. I have been trying to help my friend, and now I am so drawn into this world. What an amazing thing the internet has been for me, in terms of being able to connect with people and to learn so much about nutrition. Google is amazing. I think that more and more people are going to seek out alternative treatments to conventional cancer care because of the internet and Google.

CK

patti

CK,

I will have to look up the NS adrenal stuff – when I get a chance. Probably not today though. frown My herbalist is a NS rep. but I tend to use multiple companies for my herbal stuff. DSD, New Sun, Good Herbs, etc.

My MIL does a daily detox juicing. It’s mainly a standard liver detox but seems to be good for her. However, we think we may have just hit a wall and mom may be transforming to AML. She’s starting to bleed faster than we can put the blood in her. If she needs another transfusion by next Friday it is likely she will stop all transfusions as doing it weekly is not to her liking. But for 18mos. we went the natural way and we do not regret it.

I did ask her if she’d talk to your friend and she said she’d rather I do it. I guess because I’m the one that actually manages what she takes and how often. We have a lot of guidance from her naturapath now but for more than a year it was just me doing it. We didn’t meet her naturapath until a few months ago.

If your friend wants to email me that would be fine. My email address is in my profile.

I’d better run. Mom transfused yesterday but has another doctor’s appt. today so off I go.

patti

bhanson

I take zinc regularly for the prvention of colds and flu (I work in a school!) and it works. However, it has to be balanced with copper. I wear a copper bracelet. Also, I am Vit B 12 deficent. Most of my family is. It is inherited. My father and my sister died of chronic heart failure due to pernicious anemia caused by B 12 deficency. It is caused by not being able to assimalate it in the stomach because of lack of intrinsic value. I take a 1 cc shot a week. If I don’t, my hands, feet, and arms go numb. I also swell up. If you need it, you need it. We can’t get it from food, it must come by a shot. For my sister, it was too late. My husband with MDS is on FLOX, a vit b complex with vit B 12. The value of B 12 can be high in your blood, but you are not absorbing it. I think it is a good idea to think about if our health is compromised in any way. Just a thought. Bonnie

Hi Patti and CK:

Sorry to hear that your MIL’s condition appears to be worsening. Just wondering she has ever had her cells looked at in regards to their morphology. Might help her to see what nutrients she might be lacking in. Also was wondering if she has any chromosomal abnormalities. If, so which ones?

As far as adrenal support, I’ve used some herbal adrenal supports, too. As a matter of fact, that is one of the supplements that I do think I saw some noticeable improvements to my health, particularly my skin. The ones I used was by Gaia Herbs and Herb Pharm. I didn’t use them at the same time, and interestingly, they have different ingredients, but are both for adrenal support. I saw improvements w/both products. So I do think I have to improve my adrenal function.

CK, as far as oxidizing enzyme power vs. antioxidants, I don’t think they are the same thing. This is how I understand it. Basically, it’s believed that cancer can not survive in a well oxygenated environment, hence the importance of veggies being able to help provide the body w/more oxygenation. (The oxidizing enzyme power is what helps to raise oxygen in our tissues). However, free radials also use oxygen to cause damage to cells by oxidation. (The terms are similar, so can easily cause confusion. But they are similar in that both involve oxygen). So antioxidants are helpful in that they are known to scavenge free radicals and render them incapable of using the oxygen to cause cellular damage. Antioxidants in themselves don’t provide more oxygen, but rather helps to keep the bad guys away from the oxygen supply. I believe veggies have both oxidizing enzyme power and antioxidants. Also, I think how the oxygen is bound plays a role in whether the oxygen is readily available to the free radicals. Free radicals can pick up O1 much more readily than O2.

Thanks for the B12 links! I tried to look it up, but having trouble w/the links. But did see enough that was interesting! And my father happens to have multiple myeloma! So I have read Gearin Tosh’s book, Living Proof, and found it very interesting as well. Another tidbit, is that I seem to have resistent high MCVs, which are known to be possibly caused by B12 deficiency. However, my B12 levels are within normal ranges, so I’m currently exploring what else I can do to help lower my MCVs.

Bonnie, that is interesting about your B12. Have you been tested to see if you in fact don’t have enough intrinsic factor or are they just assuming you are low in intrinsic factor due to the low B12? Just curious. I also believe that we can have high B12 but still not be utilizing it properly. My current focus is on improving my digestive system to see if that will help me absorb my B12 better and any other nutrients through my foods better as well. I truly believe that if our digestion isn’t up to par, then it doesn’t matter how good the quality foods we eat are because we won’t be able to assimilate the nutrition. Everything we eat has to be broken down sufficiently for our bodies to use. Thus the quality of our digestion is extremely important. And of course the quality of food can’t be ignored either.

Okay! Thanks ladies! Take care!

Marla

P.S. Sleep is another good topic! But, I’ll have to leave it for another time.

patti

Marla,

Can you explain what you mean by morphology? Mom has no abnormal chromosomes. The doctor called me yesterday to chat and the way things are looking now the best guess is about 4 weeks for mom if we can’t stop the internal bleeding and quite frankly, surgery is not an option. Her naturapath did take her off of her enzymes to see if that would help curb the bleeding.

Mom had another unexpected transfusion on thursday and if she makes it past next friday before another one I’d feel a little better. But I don’t know that’s going to happen. The doctor has her doing a fecal occult test but so far, mom hasn’t done it. She said she’s just too tired and doesn’t want to. Can’t say I blame her. This is literally the first time in 18mos she’s not felt well all the time. For her to even express not feeling well is weird. She’s not a complainer.

Anyway, if you could explain the morphology thing maybe it will give us another rock to turn over. Thanks.

Patti

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert