MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Janet – sugarwhale

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Janet – sugarwhale

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    patti

Janet,

Haven’t heard from you in awhile and was wondering how your mom is doing? How are you doing?

Patti

gemloyear

Janet, I too have missed you on the forum. I hope everything is going well for your Mom and you. Let us know that you are all ok.
    Ellie

sugarwhale

Dear Ellie and Patti,
    Aw! Thank you both for caring! I’ve just been out of touch for a while. My mom is doing just wonderfully! The revlimid is working! The Esiak Caps are working. Our fine doctor has declared my mom to be “transfusion independent.” We’re hoping for a holiday in Canada. We don’t know yet! The doctor has to approve. My mom is now doing the yard work! The only problem she has is…no appetite! I wish I could be a donor! I can’t STOP eating! Thank you both for asking about me and my mom. I thought I was forgotten, and your notes above just made my day! Thanks, friends!
    ~~~ Janet

patti

Janet,

What great news!!! I hope you have a wonderful trip to Canada. Can I sign up for donation also? hee hee.

Maybe you could get your mom to drink some whey protein shakes so she doesn’t lose muscle mass. If she could make a smoothie out of some whey protein, yogurt, and fresh or frozen fruit it would taste good. If she doesn’t feel like eating it could be a good meal to drink. Just a thought.

So glad to hear all is well. Keep it up!

Best wishes,

patti

sugarwhale

Dear Patti,
    Yes, my mom drinks those protein shakes. She can also get going on…ice cream. She nearly always refuses vegetables though. (She DOES take supplements). She says food just doesn’t taste good. I’ve even tried “Here comes the plane! Now, open the hangar!” I, on the other hand, have the opposite problem: I eat everything that isn’t nailed down. I wish I could be an appetite donor! Our doctor says that some of this is normal at my mom’s age; he doesn’t seem too concerned. I think my mom needs some saskatoon berry pie and those good Ukrainian perogies that are made in Saskatchewan. She also needs the pasta dishes in the West Edmonton Maul (misspelling intentional!)!
    We don’t know how long the revlimid will work, but it’s doing wonders now. Thank you again for keeping us in your thoughts. I hope things are going well for you too. From what I read, everything is going fine there.
    Oh, and I am just fine! I eat too much, but that’s all!
    ~~~ Janet-who-has-too-much-appetite

seekay

Hi Sugarwhale,
    Glad to hear your mom is doing so well. If she won’t eat, will she drink freshly-prepared juices? If you think she might, you might try getting a good juicer like the Omega 8003 (has a large round plastic auger, kind of like a Champion juicer except a fraction of the weight, very quiet, and much easier to clean, I have one I use every day). We juice two organic carrots and one organic apple in the morning, and sometimes I make a green juice with various kinds of organic lettuce (Romain, endive, mixed organic baby green salad) and one tart organic apple. Sometimes I add a squeeze of lemon to either juice. Very painless to “eat” because you just swallow it, and you get a lot of poten phytochemicals that are fantastic for health. I bought the juicer for $205 shipped from a company called Open Chute, Inc. I think the website is http://www.livingright.com.

You can also juice wheatgrass and make pasta with this juicer (although refined flour is another thing to avoid).

I would try to get her to avoid sugar as much as possible because cancer cells love glucose. Ice cream is no good.

–seekay

patti

Janet,

You guys sure have a good doctor. I wish mom’s was like that. Although we have changed docs to a better one, he’s still not too open to anything we’re doing.

I remember my grandmother not being as hungry when she was in her 80’s also. Sounds like your doc is up to snuff with that stuff too.

I love the airplane hanger thing! smile If only it would work for my kids!

I hope you get the okay for your trip to Canada. It’s a great time to travel weather wise. BTW, do you know when the Alb. balloon festival is? We just started talking about maybe taking one trip just to get away and that was the unanimous wanna see for the kids.

Take good care! The only solution I can give you for eating too much is maybe to try Hoodia. It worked great for me for a very long time. They say to take it before every meal but I just took two in the morning and I didn’t feel like hardly eating all day.

I hope everything continues to go well for you and your mom. Have a great vacation!

All the best,

Patti

sugarwhale

Dear Seekay,
    Thank you very much for your advice about the juicer. My mom has one. She will eat fruit juices, but there are very few veggies that she finds appealing. Our doctor suggested ice cream. Yes, there’s the sugar, which probably isn’t great. But she DOES enjoy it! Her problem is that the MDS gives her a feeling of being full when she really isn’t. She is getting better though. She’s no longer losing weight. I watched what she ate today, and she ate almost as much as I did! That is really saying something, too!
    Thanks again, Seekay!
    ~~~ Janet

sugarwhale

Dear Patti,
    Thank you for your letter above. I don’t know the EXACT dates of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, but it’s normally during the first week in October. Fair warning: It is VERY VERY VERY crowded! About one million visitors descend on us! If you need precise dates and can’t find them, tell me; I’ll try to find out.
    If you and your family visit here, there are a few “must-sees”: Old Town, Santa Fe, Acoma Sky City, Sandia Peak Tramway and the Turquoise Trail spring to mind! You’ll need a vehicle: There’s no rapid-transit and no subway; traffic crawls!
    Let me know how I can help. You might try email. I think my profile accepts it.
    Yes, I think our doctor is right. My mom is one of those scrawny old people who live a long time. She already HAS lived a long time. Her mom died at age 96 and was also thin and scrawny!
    ~~~ Janet

gemloyear

Janet, I love hearing about your Mom’s escapades. I wish I was her next door neighbor, she sounds like a winner. I’d give her cake and ice cream, cookies pie and what ever else she desires!! I’m happy to hear that she is doing so well. I’d love to get to Canada again. Have you ever taken the circle tour around the lakes? The last time we went across the top of the lakes and down into N.Y. state, it was great. I hope that you are able to take your trip, it gives you something to look forword to.p.s. my daughter got Glen some cruciferous vegetable extract capsules( broccoli) good for immune and cellular protection.IN place of a bushell of broccoli. His counts are better, I think from all the supplements he’s taking.
    Ellie

take care, Ellie

sugarwhale

Dear Ellie,
    Thanks so much! Yes, my mom IS a winner; she’s the best mom anyone could ever have. We won’t have time for a long Canada trip. We’ll just content ourselves with Saskatchewan and Alberta. I have been EVERYWHERE in Canada, including the Great Lakes, Newfoundland and Labrador, the Queen Charlottes and the High Arctic. But I love it and want to go back. I promised my mom that I would never leave her alone. Therefore, BOTH of us hope to go!
    Your suggestion about the cruciferous vegetable extract caps is a wonderful one! That’s a GREAT idea; I never even knew it existed.If this were an ideal world, my mom would completely stop all sugar and white flour. But she’d be miserable, and she’d simply quit eating anything. I want her to be well, but I also want her to be happy. Not only do I want her to eat; I also want her to ENJOY eating.
    I guess I’m a bit jealous too: I sure enjoy food! I melt Royal Danish Havarti over broccoli! The evil person inside is glad my mom lets ME eat it all. It sure makes ME happy!
    Thanks again, Ellie! We’ll get those caps!
    ~~~ Janet

patti

janet,

Thanks for the balloon festival info. I’ve heard it gets very crowded during that time. We would come in our motorhome so we’d be in that slow crawl. I can take the info you gave me and search out the rest. I just needed an idea of when it is.

I’m with Ellie, I love hearing stories about what your mom is doing. She sounds like a fun lady. I have to side with Ellie on the green capsules. Shhh don’t tell my nautrapath but I definately do not eat enough veggies so I actually take these nasty green tablets every day that have every kind of green vegetable that you can imagine in powder form. I’m sure it’s not as good for me as the real thing but I figure something is better than nothing! Right? smile

patti

CarolineG

JANET….

Your Mom would love Shoo-Fly Pie, Schnitz Pie, Back bacon on a bun, and all of the other delicious foods offered in our Mennonite/Amish area. My Mom’s perogies and cabbage rolls are out of this world. We’d fatten her up in no time. You could tell your Doctor that you are extending your vist to Canada with your Mom to Ontario for ‘medicinal purposes’ and maybe he will allow you to travel this far for a couple of extra weeks.

THEN….while you are here, you can pick me up in your new motorhome and the three of us can go even further East to Prince Edward Island and share in all of Anne’s dreams. The seafood is fresh and very tasty. Hmmm…I wonder what my family would have to say about that? Ha…they’d probably help me pack. Anything to rid themselves of me for a week or two.

By the way, I share in your love for Havarti even if it is on top of broccoli.

I am certain that Blue Green Algae…must be Hawaiian… is a good replacement for leafy greens as well. I took it for several years until recently. I extended my vegetable gardens and now I also grow all of the leafy vegetables that can stand this climate so it isn’t as necessary to take the supplement.

Caroline

sugarwhale

Dear Patti and Ellie,
    Today we asked our fine doctor about cruciferous vegetable capsules. We explained that, not only has my mom no appetite, but she especially loathes vegetables. He said we could try the caps if we wanted, but that we should proceed with caution. He explained that he doesn’t usually recommend herbs like this, because the preparations are not pure. With my mom’s immune system being compromised, our doc seemed to think this might not be such a great idea. Do y’all have any thoughts on this? Do you know of a preparation that IS pure?

Dear Caroline,
    Oh, sigh! Prince Edward Island! They’ve ruined Anne; Anne is dead. But the beautiful landscapes, the lighthouses, Province House and the Fathers of Confederation! Wow! Some things CANNOT be ruined. I’ll bet even the Subway in Charlottetown has green algae sandwiches! Rabbit has a saying: She says, “Things never turn out the way you think they will, and sometimes they turn out…better!” So maybe we’ll get a PEI trip together someday, eh?
    ~~~ Janet

gemloyear

Janet, I will call an 800 # from the bottle tomorrow to check on the purity. I did take the bottle to Glen’s doc for approval and she said ok, if that means anything. His counts have improved since he has been taking it and no new infections.No actually there isn’t much that is pure even the meds they take, that sometimes makes them so sick. All of the ingredients listed on the bottle seem to be natural and pure, who knows?
    Ellie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert