MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Pineapple and Raw Black Sesame Seeds

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Pineapple and Raw Black Sesame Seeds

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Ani

This “good news” item comes with a caution that we all must realise that each person reacts in a different way to treatments.
    That said, can I tell you of my husband Jim, diagnosed in late 2002, with “MDS”, platelets the only line affected and no chromosone involvement.
    His count has been a steady 70 to 80K until early September 05 when they dipped dramatically to 57,000.
    I then started him on 2 tablespoons of raw black sesame seeds daily and at least half a large raw pineapple. I’ve got to tell you its been a battle to have him co operate, but it had been worth it as we have now had three blood counts since then, the first 70K, 92K and today 96K. The downside is that he has to have bladder stones removed next week and of course there is a possibility of bleeding, but fingers crossed.
    Shalom
    Ani

patti

Ani,

This does work! My MIL does this daily because her platelets run 18K on a good day. When she doesn’t do the pineapple and black sesame seeds she dips to 8K very quickly. I’m glad you discovered this healthy treatment!

Best Wishes,

patti

Caroline

Ani, Patti.

Does the raw black sesame seeds and pineapple treatment only apply to platelet problems? My Dad has CMML. His red blood cells are mostly the affected cells. Do you think this could possibly help him too?

Caroline

Jimbob

No, it only helps to increase platelets. Epogen, procrit or aranesp is used to increase RBC. There are some Chinese herbs that are supposed to help but …

Caroline

Thanks Jim,

How about foods? Do you know of any specific foods or supplements that would help out with his RBC? Right now Dad takes 100 mg of Vitamin B-6 and he gets Eprex/Procrit shots weekly, 40 000 units. He started these shots 3 weeks ago and his hemoglobin has risen from 99 to 107. Dr. is pretty pleased since Dad is 79 years old and they didn’t expect any change at all for the first month.
    Now Dad has kidney stones which were scheduled to be removed with laser surgery next week but after blood tests 2 days ago, they found that his coagulation factors don’t work properly and his creatinine levels are extremely high. Now he has to meet with a Nephrologist and another Hemotologist to take care of these problems before the Urologist can do the kidney stone surgery. So many “Ologists”. I am thinking that the kidney problems have been present for many years and have added to the CMML.

Dad’s weight has dropped from 185 lbs to 166 lbs since June. We give him a can of Ensure every night before bed and are starting to make him puddings, etc. with homo milk to increase his fats but he has no appetite. I am trying to make sure that the little bits that he does force himself to eat are full of calories and nutrition. I would even like to find some kind of a supplement which may boost his appetite. He isn’t even interested in eating frequent small meals throughout the day. It has become an effort for him to do anything except lay down and sleep.

Any ideas?

Caroline

Terri

Caroline, What about Protein shakes with Whey. I used Soy Milk and would add some fresh fruit for Bob. Our Nutritionist had suggested it. A Lot of greens are good. I know when Bob eats a lot of Greens, along with his vitamins he takes B12 and a B complex. The B12 is definately for the RBC.
    prior to the Vidaza it was up to 11.2. THis thursday when he was on his next to last dose for this round it was down to 10.
    Our Nutritionist has Bob staying away from a lot of Dairy, we use Smart balance instead of Butter, Soy milk, instead of reg. the only thing he allowed him is Yogurt.
    Hope your Dad starts to get his appettite back.

Caroline

Terri,
    Thank you.
    I will make a list of the foods you mentioned and will go over and talk to Dad about it all tomorrow. He will appreciate your help.

Caroline

Sandy L

In addition to what Terri said I have read that:
    Beets , Cashews, Lots of Greens, help greatly.

Stay away from caffine, chocholate, soda, milk products

Caroline

Thanks Sandy

Caroline

Cynthiam

Hello,

I was wondering what the problem is with dairy, caffine, chocholate and soda. I just heard on a nutritionist show that they use high dose vitamin K to treat MDS. He has found that it increases WBC and Platelets. I don’t remember if he said Red blood count. Has anyone heard this before? Cynthia

Jimbob

Caroline,
    There is a small booklet called “waht to eat when you don’t want to eat anything”. It is a book with receipes and ideas for cancer patients. I gave my copy away last year but you might be able to get one from social services or if there is a patient library where your Dad is treated. One of rhe items, for those who can handle smooth foods was yams with various things added when mashed or pureed. Not bad if one likes either yams or pumpkin pie flavor. Also a number of drink ideas. If you can’t find a copy, let us know and I will look for it when I go to the hospital in 2 weeks.
    Jim

Caroline

Jim:

We live in Ontario and I am noticing that the way that things are taken care of here are very different than what I read from all of you in the US. Our Oncologist has a small library in his waiting room. I will browse when we are there next time…Nov 8th, also 2 weeks. I will let you know if I find the book. If not, I would very much appreciate it if you could pick a copy up for me. I think that book would be a big help. Dad eats very little at home. It frustrates my Mom alot. When he comes over here…3 blocks away… I can get him to eat just about anything. Or, when my kids go over to Opa’s house, he will eat what they eat and keep up with them. But my kids are all in their late teens so they have many obligations through the week such as working and highschool/university and Opa goes to bed early so they can’t drop by to make him eat everyday. They try hard and are doing a very good job of supporting him….and me. He loves the pumpkin pie that I bake but won’t touch it anywhere else. I have been sending baking over every few days. Since this past May when my Mom found out that she is a very serious Diabetic, she has a very difficult time spending time in the kitchen….another very sad story. She used to be a master cook/baker and loved to eat her cooking. She tries to cook without eating but every once in awhile, she hurts herself by over indulging. Since my family is large, I cook and bake everyday so I have been trying to send food down without offending my Mom or teasing her with sweets….another dilema. I could slide some things into pumpkin pie, etc. and it probably won’t get noticed. That book would greatly benefit us.

You are all such a great help. I am glad that I found you.

Caroline

patti

Caroline,

From a health standpoint it would benefit your dad to get him eating healthy foods and avoid the sweets. Cancers and illness live off of sweets in our bodies. It would be much better for your dad (and your mom since she’s diabetic) to eat a macrobiotic diet (whole foods – no sugar or white flour). Although my MIL walks around with only 400 neutrophils most of the time, she hasn’t had a single infection since diagnosed more than a year ago. The doctor said he doesn’t understand why. We keep trying to tell him it’s because of her diet. She eats a whole food diet, juices, doesn’t touch sugar or white flour. By doing that she doesn’t give germs anything to eat off of and grow. Since your dad is having a hard time eating maybe you could juice things into a healty smoothie (no sugar). Tomatoes, celery, beets, cucumbers, lemon. Stuff like that. Just a thought.

bhanson

Hi, I just registered as an MDS patient and greatly appreciate the chance to hear everyones experiences and talk to others who have the same disease. I am interested in doing everything I can to get better as we all are. We are trying some different things, but I am especially interested in the pineapple and black sesame seeds. Do you take the seeds whole with the hulls or is it best to crush or grind them? Also, I read where we cannot digest the hulls so would it be best to buy raw hulled seeds? I appreciate your input. Thanks so much, bhanson

Christina

Hi,

I am interested in having my dad try the pineapple juice and raw sesame seeds…anything is worth a shot. Juicing the pineapple seems easy but how do you eat the raw sesame seeds? My brother bought some and the directions said you have to cook/bake them – do you? Can you just have them off the spoon or add them to food? Any advise will help!

Thanks
    Chris

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert