MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Plea for prayers

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Plea for prayers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    DonUK

Hi all – there seems to be a lot of tough times on the board at the moment, Carrie and Kathryn I am thinking of you both.

We thought Karen’s discharge from hospital at the beginning of June (she’s been in hospital since January) was a major milestone for us. Unfortunately she’s had a re-activation of CMV again which has gone to the lung and caused pneumonia.

She has managed on supplementary oxygen for a while, but has had to be moved to a higher level of care/monitoring where she is on a CPAP machine (not quite a ventilator) which assists her breathing.
    The docs have her on a huge cocktail of drugs, Septrin, Gangcyclovir, Merapenem, Prednisolone, Caspofungin, voriconazole….the list just goes on. I have never been so scared in my entire life.

She’s stable (ish) but not in a great position right now.

I don’t post to the boards much, but am more than aware of the great people here. Can I beg that you add her to your prayers to pull her through this ?

Many thanks all.

Ensnee

Don, I certainly know how much the prayers & positive thoughts help — they have helped Hans & me to no end…I’m sending healing thoughts to Karen & you, I hope they help you stay strong and help Karen to pull through this setback.

many hugs,
    Esme

Terri

You have it, leaving for Church in a little while will say some special prayers
    God Bless

PAG2005

Don,

I will be praying for you and Karen. Pat

shirlsgirl

Hi Don,

So sorry to read about Karen. Sending positive thoughts your way. Hope the drug cocktail is working and she’s feeling better soon.

Take care,

Jody

DonUK

Many thanks guys – someone up there seems to be listening as today she has had her best day in a while. Ate 3 bananas !
    She is still very weak, but the lungs do not appear to be worsening and dare I say it, are showing some small signs of improvement. (Early days I know as these things do not heal overnight).

These diseases are horrible. What has anyone done to deserve them ?

I try and read the posts as often as I can and realise that we are fortunate in that Karen had a donor and could have a BMT. We are also blessed in that the medical care she receives is absolutely first class. I will never forget Professor Mufti as he and his team are the most caring people I have ever met.

I don’t like to post news on the board which isn’t positive; we all need a boost from time to time so I will post regular updates as I am convinced she will be much better soon.

Kathryn

Don, thanks so much for your thoughts.

I am so glad that Karen is doing better. I will continue to keep her in my prayers. May each day continue to be better than the one before.

Take good care,

Kathryn

DonUK

Hi all – well things appear to be looking up. Yesterday’s chest x-ray showed signs of improvement. However we never seem to get good without bad, her latest CMV results show a viral load in the millions.

She does not deserve this after all she has battled – neutropenia for 10 weeks, Invasive Pulmonary Aspergillosis, 40 degree temperatures for three weeks she just does not deserve it.
    I just hope and pray.

gemloyear

Don, We are praying for karen and you. I hope that she continues to improve and will be able to go home soon.
    Ellie

DonUK

We get there bit by bit.

She has been off the CPAP machine now for well over 24 hours and is needing less and less supplementary oxygen. Furthermore the latest CMV result we have shows it back don in the hundreds of thousands (not great but better than millions)

I can’t thank everyone enough – she is very precious to me and the prayers seem to be paying off. Thank you !

shirlsgirl

Yay! Don, I’m so glad Karen is improving! That’s great news! Hope things continue to get better. smile

Jody

Marsha

Don,
    So glad the prayers are working for Karen. I will keep them up.

God Bless, Marsha

Ensnee

Don, thanks for letting us know the great news that Karen is improving. One day at a time, as we all know! Sending you hugs and prayers for continued improvement, and to lift you up, too.
    Never forget how much you are helping Karen.

many hugs,
    Esme

Kathryn

I am so glad to hear that Karen is improving, Don! I hope that you are doing well also… I am sure that everyday that she is better, one more ray of sunshine illuminates your heart. Take good care of you too!

My best wishes and prayers are with you both,

Kathryn

DonUK

Many thanks again everyone for the kind words and prayers – there are some wonderful people on these boards.

They reduced her oxygen level again yesterday (she went from CPAP to 18 litres on the mask, then 15 litres and is now down to 10 litres – sorry liters for the US folks!) and she seems to be coping OK.

We saw the haemotologists again today and they are pleased with her to the point of stopping some of the antibiotic treatment. The CMV load is down again, though still in the hundreds of thousands. She even got out of bed today and managed to walk 10 metres (meters?) with the help of the physio!

All in all a really positive day and very encouraging. Please keep the prayers coming as they are definitely working !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert